Amy K. Kendall
ATTORNEY AT LAW
Amy Kendall, a Partner at Knauf Shaw, has over 20 years of experience in environmental, land use, municipal and real estate law.
While Amy is involved in all areas of environmental law, much of her practice focuses on water–related issues. She advises clients on State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES) and federal/state wetland permitting and compliance. She advocates for clients on groundwater, surface water and drinking water contamination issues. Amy also handles matters involving title to and permitting for work on underwater lands, as well as disputes concerning riparian and littoral rights. She has advised municipalities on the creation of Local Waterfront Development Programs (LWRPs), New York’s Coastal Erosion Hazard Area Law (CEHA) permitting and compliance, as well as the creation of water and sewer districts. Over her career, she has been heavily involved in prosecuting and defending civil litigation under the Clean Water Act.
Amy has taught Environmental, Health and Safety Law to undergraduate and graduate students at Rochester Institute of Technology since 2008.
Amy is a compulsive reader and and is obsessed with her two Lhasa Apsos.
- Represents municipality in multidistrict Aqueous Film-Forming Foam (AFFF) litigation involving PFAS contamination of a drinking water supply.
- Obtained judgment after trial in favor of farmers whose drinking water well was contaminated by road salt.
- Represented citizens group in seminal New York case supporting the right of a municipality to zone out hydrofracking operations.
- Serves as municipal attorney for towns in Western and Central New York.
- Represents clients pro bono through JustCause on real estate purchases from Flower City Habitat for Humanity.
- New York State Bar Association
- Environmental & Energy Law Section (Secretary)
- Monroe County Bar Association
- Ethics Committee (Member, Past Chair)
- Environmental Law Committee (Past Chair)
- Air & Waste Management Association, Genesee Finger Lakes Chapter (Past Chair)
- New York Water Environment Association
- New York State Bar Association
- PFAS Was Found In Our Drinking Water Supply- What Do We Do Now?, Joint NYSBA Environmental and Energy and Local and State Government Sections Fall Meeting (October 2021)
- Annual Ethics Update, Monroe County Bar Association (2019-2021)
- Emerging Contaminants: A Challenging Legal Landscape, 2021 Annual Joint Seminar of the Genesee Finger Lakes Chapter of the Air & Waste Management Association and the Genesee Valley Chapter of the New York Water Environment Association Seminar (April 2021)
- I’ll Be Alright Without You: Your Journey through Conflicts, New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section Annual Meeting (January 2020)
- Associate, Hiscock Barclay LLP, Rochester, NY
- Associate, Jaeckle Fleischmann & Mugel LLP, Rochester, NY
- Associate, Terris, Pravlik & Millian LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Associate, Raichle, Banning Weiss & Stephens LLP, Buffalo, NY
- Named 2023 Lawyer of the Year for Environmental Law in Rochester NY in Best Lawyers in America®
- Selected to Super Lawyers for Environmental Law.
- New York State Bar Association Environmental and Energy Law Section Council Award 2019