Angelica Ballston Spa
The Site was operated as a tannery from 1887 to 1960. As of 1904, there were 15 buildings associated with initial tannery operations some of which remain on site in dilapidated condition. For seventy years, the former tannery conducted bulk storage of chlorine, fuel oil, and stored tanning liquors and wastes in containers ranging in size from 55 gallon drums to 100,000 gallon above ground storage tanks. Between 1945 and 1950, an 80,000 square foot building was constructed on the eastern portion of the Site to replace many of the former 15 tannery buildings, which remains the building on-Site. After the tannery operations ceased in 1960, the Site was not occupied for a ten-year period. Between approximately 1970 and 2011, the Site was used for the commercial laundering of medical industry linens with laundry detergent.
Interim Remedial Measures (IRM) work resulted in the removal of approximately 4,490 of petroleum contaminated soil and leather scrap material and approximately 126,000 gallons of contaminated groundwater from an excavation pit associated with a large former tannery above ground storage tank that had leaked.